25 January, 2010

Dilemma

I am in a dilemma of what to do...

Last year I won a 3x3M stand at the Furniture show in Sydney with my sustainable Zeopod poufs; The Edge Design and Innovation Best Green Design 2009

But being an industrial designer winning a stand is a bit weird. I don't sell anything besides my services and I wasn't allowed to forward the stand to my clients or share it with some students.

I had good hopes to get the outdoor setting I've designed for a volunteer project with my cousin Angela from Creative Mums in Manly ready before the start of the fair but that doesn't seem to happen.
The show is next week...
So what can I do last minute to show something? I can bring my smallest Zeopod with me in the plane. But only one pouf in a 3x3M stand looks a bit lonely...
If I can manage to bring both, the small and the big one it's already a bit better, but still not enough. I have no extra budget as I've spent the little budget I had already on air tickets and hotel.

So my dilemma is do I just leave the stand empty and have a short holiday in Sydney or do I make a fool of myself and bring the one Zeopod and sit on it in the middle of my stand with my laptop to show people, who might get interested by seeing a mere empty stand, what my services as an industrial designer, with over 20 years of experience in furniture design, are?

Why don't they give you a two page interview in a design magazine or a voucher for a book or something like that when you win a design award?

UPDATE:
I had a good chat this morning with the organisation and I can defer the stand to next year which is great!!! As it's such a pity to not use the opportunity and now I know about what's possible and what not, as I thought the organisation was pretty in-flexible. So next year, 2011, there will be a great Deseos Design stand in Sydney!

3 comments:

DragonBoy said...

Why not just take the smaller pod and then put some several posters. The beach scene with the small sizes of pods looks good. Also a poster explaining what they are made of and how that process works. I'm assuming they are made from the avocado shell? Maybe a huge poster of an avocado for visual impact.

I'm sure you will do well Wilma!

Wilma said...

Thanks.
I have an explaining cardboard poster... The manufacturer of the Zeoform (biodegradable plastic) is also coming, maybe he can bring some samples of the material...

Wilma said...

I am so happy I got the chance to defer the stand to next year!
As I saw the bare stand of the other designer who'd won also a stand last year at The Edge and didn't impress, I hope he did good business though. At least it wouldn't cost a fortune for him to go there as he lives around the corner in Sydney.